Sunday 16 May 2010

Top 5: Week 1

Here's what's Moroliquo and I've been loving this week:

Moroliquo's Picks: (I object to the term 'pick', but sure, whatever floats your boat:)

Pick 1: Grizzly Bear - I Live With You
Reminds me of David Bowie's Win. For the meantime, I'll just label it as an 'unintentional interpretation' until proven otherwise. Quite humorous due to the fact the song builds at parts and then entirely cuts away, as if Grizzly Bear were to say, "Hah! You thought we were going to begin the chorus, but no! We sure fooled you!"

Pick 2: Arcade Fire - Une Anne Sans Lumière
It's Arcade Fire - the indie band that my hipster friend hates! They're slated to make a new album, but I haven't heard anything of them for a while. Which reminds me of the time I saw the Where the Wild Things Are trailer and jumped up screaming "Oh my God! Arcade Fire!".

Good times. Good times.

Pick 3: Sufjan Stevens - Jacksonville
The album is one entire promotional for Illinois, maybe - if Chicago is the poster child and the cavalcade of half-mentioned characters, places and events give you a sense of belonging to a place you've never been. I haven't Google Street View'ed America since I watched Napoleon Dynamite and really wanted to see if Preston was a hick town.

Pick 4: David Bowie - Win / Beck - Debra
Might as well put Win up now that I'm thinking about it due to Grizzly Bear. It grows on you, really, and- What? Another song there? Yes, that's Debra by Beck. They are virtually the same song. I Live With You is a vaguely similar song, but no, Beck goes the whole way and virtually duplicates the song with some kicking falsetto. I cry myself to sleep knowing I can sing that high.

I will never be normal.

Pick 5: Hot Chip - Careful
Orwell's 1984 has nothing on this song. No, really, the song has nothing to do with 1984 at all. But I swear every time a man on a microphone tells me to do something while disorientating electronic music is playing, I feel like I need to talk in Newspeak and lose my individuality.

Frankie's Picks: (Well, you write fave then. Whatever...)

Pick 1: Shapeshifter - Dutchies
Since the glory days of Goldie, Drum & Bass has been a genre plagued with cheesy synths, over-simplified structures and devoid of meaning, but full of lovable tunes. A band trying to reverse this trend is New Zealand's own Shapeshifter, a band which combines D&B and heavy soul. Dutchies is one of most incredible and uplifting songs I've heard in a VERY long time.

Pick 2: 13th Floor Elevators - Slip Inside This House
Ah, the 60's. I can say with honesty that I dislike rock music, but the psychedelic rock of the 60s is just amazing to me. This song is a signature track of that era, and should have been much more popular than it was.

Pick 3: The Crazy World of Arthur Brown - Fire
Arthur Brown. The guy who influenced theatrical rock, revolutionised psychedelic rock and has influenced bands such as KISS in their makeup. This song, which I found by it being sampled by The Prodigy, is an incredible song which is just as good as it was when it was released.

Pick 4: Fluffy Little Clouds - The Orb
Fluffy Little Clouds is in my mind one of the lightest, most interesting songs I've ever heard. In the early 90's, drugs and rave culture took precedence in the electronic dance music world, so when people heard this song, it got instantly labelled as a signature song for coming down from drug-induced highs. It's still an amazing song though.

Pick 5: Aphex Twin - Peek 824545201
I have to admit, almost anything Aphex Twin does is good in my books. That's because he's an amazing artist - who used to live in a disused bank. He's also a geek. This incredible electronic romp is named after a part of a programming language. And I love it.

Until next week, keep reading the reviews and encourage others to press that 'Follow' button.

No comments: